Monday, July 03, 2006

Cotton Candy


I have been knitting for nearly three years now, and I recently started spinning my own yarn as well. Using some dowels as shafts and wooden toy wheel and plain disks as whorls, my dad and I made some spindles, and I bought my first fiber from Crystal Creek Fibers on eBay. Let me tell you, this stuff is beautiful, and very easy to spin. It is equal parts mohair, llama, and rambouillet (a breed of Merino) wool, in an oh-so-pretty pink-and-cream color blend that looks like cotton candy.
Having finally found our digital camera and conned Dad into buying some batteries for it, I've taken some pictures of my spindles (albeit already with the yarn on them) and fiber, as well as some practice strands of yarn.













Sadly, however, I've somehow lost my size 10 needles from my Boye Needlemaster, and I need them to work on my sweater... What a bummer, since the only other needles I have in that size are double-points! I fear I may have to actually buy replacements, which would totally not be cool, since the money I get in my allowance for the next month or so I owe my little brother! Oh well, the allowance is a new feature in the current scheme of things anyway, so at least I have some kind of income now where I had none previously.
The other day, I discovered Rosemary's blog, where she has posted pictures of her K'Nex spindles and Lazy Kate, PVC niddy-noddy and spice-bottle nostepinne. Awesome. I'm seriously considering building myself a spinning wheel out of K'Nex, since we have billions of them (Okay, maybe a couple thousand) and I have no money to buy one or the materials for one, or heck, even the plans for one! ^_^;
We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment